Monday 13 May 2013

Making Feta – feeling smug

I made Feta at the weekend … I am AWEsome!!! Ha, it’s actually not that hard to make but I have this massive sense of achievement like I have just climbed Mount Everest or something J  I’m not normally so self-congratulatory, honest, but I am just that impressed with myself.  The best bit is that it tastes like Feta cheese too, not sure what I expecting it to taste like?!

Like I said it isn’t hard to make and there aren’t many complicated steps to it, but it is a bit time consuming, it does take a good half a day of fussing over a bowl of milk, which I guess is why people don’t make their own cheese more often.  So choose a day when you have got things to do round the house so that you can do other things and flit back and forth between other chores and the cheese, that way you don’t feel so much like you’ve just spent all afternoon doing one thing!

I got a cheese making kit as a present for Christmas, I’ve made Halloumi a couple of times before and that has been so delicious and a bit quicker to make than this feta. I’d definitely recommend getting something like this for first time home cheese makers, it came with everything that is needed, all I needed to buy was the milk (unhomogenized milk works best, I bought the silver top Farmhouse milk in the supermarket).  Mine is a Mad Millie fresh cheese kit with an incubator, it also comes with some really good clear recipes as well.

The Mad Millie cheese kit - and it comes with these really cute measuring spoons!
Though it does take a while, it is so easy to do.  You heat the milk to 37 degrees, add some rennet and cultures and keep at 37 degrees for 90 mins in the purple incubator. You have to check it every now and then to make sure that the temperature is kept at the right level, topping up with hot water if not.  After 90 minutes the milk has semi-solidified in to curds which you slice in to cubes.  You then have to keep at 37 degrees for another hour.  Then comes the hovering part, stirring every 5 mins for half an hour.  Easy so far, right?  It’s pretty much done, spoon the curds in to the little feta baskets and leave to drain for 3 hours, flip and leave to drain over night.  You put some salt and boiling water in a feta sized tub and leave to cool in the fridge overnight too to make a brine, then in the morning your feta is ready to pop in to the brine.  You have to leave the feta in the brine for at least 5 hours so that salty flavour can develop.   At this point I was getting pretty impatient!!  

Stirring and waiting - one plain and one herb feta - quarter of a block of ready feta!!
It makes the equivalent of 6 of those small 150g packs of feta you get in the supermarket for the cost of 4 litres of milk ($10) .  Admittedly the cost of the cheese kit should be factored in but I got it as a present, so persuade someone to get you one for your birthday or Christmas J   Once you’ve got the kit, the refill ingredients for things like the rennet tablets are very cheap indeed and don’t add much to the cost of the cheese making.  Bargain I’d say.

I just pulled the last of my current crop of beetroot out of the ground at the weekend, so guess what, I will be making the beetroot salad recipe from my dreaded beetroot blog post.  Made with home grown carrots and beetroot and home-made feta.  I only wish I could say I grew the nuts and olive oil as well, maybe one day …

No comments: